PUE has contributed implementing and integrating all the tools required for a Data Centric model, with high quality and security standards.
We recommend you to spend a few minutes reading this post and watching the related video. We present a case of investment in Big Data and implementation of a Data Centric model of enormous success. The company involved in this transformation has achieved better than good results.
We present the success story of Telefónica, a world leader in information technology, sensitive to the new challenges that today’s society demands. That is why they offer the means to facilitate communication between people, providing them with the most secure and cutting-edge technology, so that they can live better and achieve what they set out to do. With more than 344 million customers, Telefónica operates in 13 countries and is present in 24, with an average of 113,182 employees.
We could say that the origin of this implementation can be traced back to 20 years ago, when Telefónica was just starting to exploit the field of information. It took its first steps with small actions that have evolved into the phenomenon known today as Big Data.
This way of working, which was initially a competitive advantage, is today essential to compete in the market.
This is what Ignacio Charfolé, Manager of Development, Governance and Big Data Architecture at Telefónica, told us in the interesting talk we recently had with him:
«When we are competing with large and small operators, where we all have the same customer management opportunities, personalizing the experience and streamlining the company’s processes is a must»
Telefónica has an increasingly digital customer that demands greater personalization and efficiency. To respond to this need and achieve the company’s objectives in terms of optimizing decision making and end-to-end customer management, Telefónica has had to evolve its platform and adapt it to the new Big Data technologies in record time.
The main challenge Telefónica faces, in terms of data strategy in the coming years, is to maintain customer trust and be the best in information management and transparency.
In addition to ensure that the massive democratization of data and the evolution towards a Data Driven company is done in the best possible way. All this to reach all points, whether operational, informational or managerial, and manage the data in a totally controlled and organized way.
Telefónica’s business strategy involves the implementation of a Data Centric model that has at least three aspects:
- First, an internal management of information to enhance its position as a Data Driven Company, having the necessary data in the right place in the company. From decision making to operational management.
- Second, to return the value of the data to the customer. For Telefónica, this premise is almost a motto. Its goal is for the customer to perceive that the digital trail he is leaving has a positive return for him. This translates into a more personalized and efficient experience.
- And finally, monetization. It is an essential requirement that the client’s confidentiality is fully preserved, and the client can decide at any time whether he wants his information to be used or not.
Telefónica opted for the implementation of a Big Data philosophy under a Data Centric model, starting with Hadoop clusters and evolving towards a less commercial cluster based on open source software. Today it already has more than 30 different technologies in the infrastructure and in the Big Data ecosystem. A set that continues growing and represents a great technological challenge.
In this scenario of unstoppable evolution, it is worth mentioning the emergence of the Cloud, which has led to greater agility in all processes.
The cloud offers countless advantages: from deciding whether to grow or shrink an infrastructure practically in real time, to scaling dynamically for a better adjustment of costs and times.
Today, all new infrastructures have strategic agreements with the great Cloud mentors in order to remain leaders and keep pace with the market.
The results achieved throughout this implementation are:
- Improvement in response times to 35 seconds over 3 million rows read, without exceeding 200 milliseconds in any request for obtaining recommendations on the TV platform.
- High geographic availability thanks to the installation of two platforms that run according to the needs or possible failures.
- With Kafka as the information bus, communication between Internet data and internal platforms was simplified, maintaining security and speeding up transmission times.
Collaboration between PUE and Telefónica
PUE began collaborating with Telefónica at a critical time for the company, as it was about to adopt new technologies and make a shift to an open source philosophy.
«In PUE we got a supplier that knew how to perfectly understand the technology at high and low levels, solving any difficulties we might have,» states Ignacio Charfolé of Telefónica.
Telefónica relied on PUE to implement and integrate all the necessary tools that would lead to a Data Centric model, with the highest quality and security standards.
PUE is today for Telefónica a reference partner to solve specific issues. Telefónica especially values the security that PUE offers with its experience and expertise in the latest advances in Big Data and Cloud technology.
If your company needs assessment and support in the implementation of a Data Centric model, contact us. We will be pleased to discuss your case and inform you without any commitment.